Try out these Eat Right. Live Well recipes!
Cocoa Nib Hot Chocolate Recipe:
A super healthy and warm beverage that is a true indulgence!
• 1 ½ cups almond milk or coconut milk
• ¼ cup cocoa nibs, finely ground using a coffee grinder or high-speed blender
• 1 pinch of sea salt
• ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
• 2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Make sure cocoa nibs are very finely ground before making this recipe.
2. Combine all ingredients apart from the maple syrup and vanilla extract in a small pot on the stove.
3. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly once the hot chocolate starts to simmer.
4. Whisk until cocoa nibs dissolve, and then stir in the sweetener and vanilla extract. Taste and adjust sweetness, as desired.
5. Serve and be full of love.
Scrambled Eggs in a Pita Pocket!
• 1/2 cup pieces – mushrooms, white
• 1 medium – bell pepper, green
• 8 large – egg
• 1/4 cup – milk
• 1/8 teaspoon – salt
• 1/8 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
• 2 ounce – cheddar cheese
• 4 large – pita, whole wheat
• 2 cup – applesauce, unsweetened
1. Finely dice mushrooms and 1/4 of the bell pepper; cut remaining pepper into thin strips and set aside.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
3. Add mushrooms and diced peppers to hot skillet; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. (If veggies begin to stick, add a bit of cooking spray.)
4. In a medium-sized bowl, beat together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until fluffy.
5. Add eggs to veggies and cook for 2-3 minutes before stirring, then stir and continue to cook until eggs are nearly set.
6. Stir in cheese and allow to melt, then remove from heat.
7. Slice pitas in half and gently open pockets; stuff each with egg mixture.
8. Serve warm with pepper slices and applesauce on the side.
Lunch is ready at home or on the go with Cucumber Pasta Salad!
• 8 ounce – low glycemic macaroni pasta, dry
• 1 medium – bell pepper, red
• 1/2 medium – onion, red
• 2 medium – cucumber
• 1/2 teaspoon – salt
• 2 medium – lime
• 1/4 cup – cilantro
• 6 slice – ham, deli sliced
• 1/2 medium – avocado
• 2 cups – grapes
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Allow to cool. Dice bell pepper and onion. Slice cucumber.
2. Place the cucumber slices into a colander set in the sink, and sprinkle with salt. Set aside and allow to drip.
3. In a salad bowl, mix together the onion, pepper, lime zest and juice, cilantro, until thoroughly combined.
4. Drain the cucumber slices, and pat them dry with paper towels. Stir the cucumbers into the salad. Chop the ham; add to the bowl along with the cooled pasta. Toss to combine. Peel and dice avocado. Gently toss the avocado with the salad and serve with grapes.
Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes
• 1 pound ground turkey (94% lean preferred)
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1 carrot, peeled and chopped small
• 1 stalk celery, chopped small
• 1/2 an onion, chopped small
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon mustard
• 1.5 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Whole wheat buns, for serving
1. In a large pan over medium heat, saute the carrots, celery, and onion in a swirl of olive oil until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spoon. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until the turkey is no longer pink.
4. Add the tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard, honey, and chili powder to the pain. Stir well to combine, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and simmer five minutes more, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened and flavorful.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, then spoon the hot filling onto whole wheat buns, and serve.
Grilled Cheese with Cauliflower as the Crust!
-1 large head of cauliflower
-2 large – eggs
-1/4 cup – parmesan cheese
-1 teaspoon – basil, dried
-1/4 teaspoon – salt
-1/4 teaspoon – black pepper, ground 2 slice – cheddar cheese
1. Chop cauliflower. Using a food processor, pulse in batches until well blended.
2. Scoop into a microwave safe bowl and loosely cover. Microwave for 4 minutes, then stir. Return to the microwave for 3 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450* F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking oil.
4. Place a cheese cloth or clean towel over a large colander. Pour cooked cauliflower into cloth that covers colander. Be careful because the cauliflower steam and water will be hot. Push as much water out of the cauliflower as possible using the flat side of a spoon and twisting the cheese cloth. You'll need the cauliflower to be as dry as possible.
5. Once mostly dried of excess water, put the semi-dry cauliflower into a large bowl. Add eggs, parmesan, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
6. Scoop onto baking sheet in four separate and equal portions. Spread each into a 1/2 inch thick square piece of "bread."
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and make two sandwiches with a slice of cheese in each (thick sliced!).
8. Place back in the oven for one minute, until cheese has melted. Serve warm.